Understanding the various online schooling graduation requirements can be challenging and overwhelming, but we’re here to break it down for you so that you know exactly what you need to do to graduate from high school.
Graduation Requirements for High School Students at SDVS
Students are required to pass a specified number of classes in order to graduate (see list below). Here at San Diego Virtual School, our graduation requirements for high school students satisfy the state of California’s graduation requirements. Bear in mind that you can graduate from SDVS with our requirements but still not meet the requirements to attend college.
To graduate from SDVS, students must have 220 academic credits with passing grades. Each SDVS course is worth 5 credits per semester, totaling 10 credits per class per year. It is recommended that students take 30 credits per semester in order to best meet the graduation requirements by the end of their twelfth-grade year.
The minimum graduation requirements for high school students to graduate from SDVS include the following:
- 4 Years of English – Students should take one English class per year of high school, correlated to their current grade.
- 3 Years of Math – One must be algebra (1 or 2), but other options include geometry, consumer math, pre-calculus, and calculus.
- 2 Years of Science – This includes one year each of biological and physical sciences, such as Earth science, biology, and chemistry.
- 3 Years of Social Studies – This may include US history, US geography, world history, or culture and geography. One year must include one semester each of American government and economics.
- 1 Year of Visual Arts, Performing Arts, or a Foreign Language – It should be noted that most colleges (including UC and CSU) require one year of arts classes in the same discipline in addition to two years of a foreign language.
- 2 Years of Physical Education – Students can take more than 2 years of P.E. for credit towards their electives.
- 70 Credits of Electives – These include any classes outside the minimum requirements.
For more details on SDVS graduation requirements, check out our resources page or talk to your advisor.